Sunday, April 11, 2010

New favourite


I did a lot of baking again over the Easter break, including cupcakes, again, and a very disastrous self-saucing chocolate pudding. But the best thing I have eaten in a while was the chelsea buns I made, aka cinnamon scrolls. I can't explain how delicious they were, you just have to make them. My flatmate said they were almost like brioche. I got my recipe out of the Edmond's cookbook, which calls for mixed fruit, but I left that out because I am not a big fan of raisins and raisin-type things in baking. And I'm sorry but I don't want you to make these with raisins either because it would just be a shame, you are not allowed to so I have also left that out in the recipe below.




Chelsea buns
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp active yeast
3 1/2 cups high grade flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup warm milk
3 tbsp melted butter
FILLING:
50g butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
GLAZE:
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp gelatine (I didn't have any of this and found that just the sugar and water was actually fine)

Place the warm water and first measure of sugar in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve sugar. Sprinkle yeast over and leave for 10 minutes, until frothy.
Combine 3 cups flour and salt in a large bowl. Set remaining 1/2 cup flour aside. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Pour in milk, melted butter and frothy yeast mixture. Beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Lightly brush a bowl with oil. Place the dough in the bowl, and lightly brush with oil. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
Punch dough down in centre. Lightly knead then roll dough out to a 30x25cm rectangle. Spread dough with filling. Roll up like a sponge roll. Using a string (or a very sharp knife), cut into 12 even-sized pieces. Arrange in a greased 25cm sponge sandwich tin, with 9 around the outside edge and 3 in the centre. Cover and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
Bake at 190 c for 25 minutes or until golden. Brush with glaze whilst hot.
Makes 12.


FILLING: Cream butter & sugar together. Stir in the spices.
GLAZE: Put all ingredients into a saucepan. Heat until sugar and gelatine have dissolved, stirring constantly.




Susannah you have to make these!

No comments:

Post a Comment